Rexmoi® – Portable Commercial Food Air Dryer
Commercial Food Dehydrator & Industrial Drying Machine
At Drying Solutions, we understand that being part of the innovation and development space can be an exciting yet cautious path. That’s why we’ve dedicated over 20 years to perfecting the portable Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer: the most versatile industrial drying solution available today with the ability to:
- Remove moisture from products or the atmosphere
- Control the moisture content in products
- Cool products quickly
- Heat and cure products at various temperatures
- Cook at low temperatures
Available for either rent or purchase, The Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer makes drying technology accessible and affordable to the wider New Zealand business community.
With our commercial dehydrator, you can freely dry, test, and produce value added products at your own site, and make the most of the opportunities it provides to start a new business, expand an existing one, or simply increase productivity and sales.
REXMOI® AIR TRAY DRYING USES REFRIGERATION TECHNOLOGY FOR HEATING, COOLING AND HUMIDITY CONTROL
RAPID FEASIBILITY TESTING AND PROTOTYPING
- Research and development can be a time consuming and often costly process. The Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer allows companies to quickly test the feasibility of their products.
- Scalability is not a concern, as the unit can produce both small and large volumes to meet customer’s needs. While machine modifications can be made in order to increase production output.
ALLOWS FOR CONFIDENTIALITY
- We understand that testing new and innovative products often requires an element of secrecy. Protecting a company’s intellectual property is often essential to the success of a company. Drying Solutions provides such confidentiality.
- The Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer’s removable trays are made of stainless steel and comply with all food safety regulations.
- Filters are used to control and contain product particles in the chamber, and an air sanitising system can be added.
- The Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer is a safer method of heating volatile products, as there are no exposed electric elements or gas fires.
AFFORDABLE AND COST EFFECTIVE
- The ability to rent or buy a Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer provides a low risk, cost effective option.
- Companies can test and produce their value-added products with minimal risk.
- It is energy efficient with running costs as low as $10-$15 per 24 hours, depending on the unit model and energy charges.
- The Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer is accessible to all. It can be transported behind any SUV, with the added ability to tilt the trailer for easier loading and unloading
- The dryer measures 4.2m long – 1.2m wide – 2.6m high.
ADVANCED SOFTWARE – AUTOMATED, TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY CONTROL
- A temperature range of -5 to 70 degrees Celsius.
- Advanced software allows for complete and accurate control of the Rexmoi® Air Tray Drying unit.
- Monitoring and recording humidity, time and temperature provides customers with detailed information.
- This information allows them to diagnose any issues and refine the drying process.
- Programmed to automatically adjust temperatures and humidity levels without stopping the unit.
THE REXMOI® AIR TRAY DRYER HAS BEEN USED IN MULTIPLE INDUSTRIES TO CREATE VALUE-ADDED PRODUCTS
The kiwifruit industry had a problem with labelling fruit when they were removed from cool storage. Condensation was forming on the fruit and the labels would not stick. By controlling the atmosphere in the grading and labelling area, we could keep the fruit dry and perfect for labelling.
Drying berries is an effective method of preservation, eliminating the need for refrigeration.
Interested? Find out how your business can create value-added fruit products with the Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer.
BEEF & JERKY
Dried meat is an exciting market sector, with tray drying being a common processing technique that adds great value to a range of meat products.
WALNUTS & MACADAMIA NUTS
We have successfully dried various nuts, including chestnuts, walnuts, and macadamia nuts to name a few, all of which benefited from low temperature drying. The result is a better retention of taste and nutrients, as well as an increased shelf life.
Low temperature cooking is used when a product needs moisture removed in order to set the product and enhance its shelf life. This is important, as high temperatures could inadvertently burn or destroy the product and its valuable nutrients.
Pet food is a huge industry with ongoing product innovation. To keep up and remain competitive in this space companies are providing value-added products to pet owners.
Controlling the temperature and atmosphere for the preservation of products. Food, timber, leather and a variety of other materials can be dried in the Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer.
The Rexmoi®’s uses aren’t limited to food groups. It can extend to include things like timber, leather, and other materials.
WE WORK CLOSELY WITH OUR CLIENTS TO UNDERSTAND THEIR NEEDS AND PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SERVICES AND A CUSTOMISED SOLUTION THAT WILL ALLOW THEM TO BRING VALUE-ADDED PRODUCTS TO MARKET.
NETWORK OF NEW ZEALAND RESEARCH AND INNOVATION INSTITUTIONS
Our network of research and innovation institutions is a valuable tool, providing clients with the support and knowledge required to develop new and innovative products.
DRYER MAINTENANCE AND SERVICING SUPPORT
We provide ongoing maintenance services, in order to maximise the efficiency and effectiveness of the dryers.
PARTNERSHIPS WITH EXPERT FOOD TECHNOLOGISTS
We provide customers with experienced food technologists in order to accelerate the research and development phase, and get value added products to market faster.
ONGOING ADVANCEMENTS AND CUSTOMISATION
We understand that every client is different, so we can provide customised drying solutions to meet your exact needs.
DRYING SOLUTIONS IS HELPING NEW ZEALAND BUSINESSES UNLOCK THEIR POTENTIAL
THE VEGERY INCREASE PRODUCTION BY 500% IN LESS THAN A YEAR
The challenge? Auckland’s The Vegery came to Drying Solutions in search of an efficient, cost-effective dehydrator that would allow them to scale up production to meet growing demand and unlock new opportunities for their business. The answer? The Rexmoi® Air Tray Dryer!
With the Rexmoi®, The Vegery was able to increase its production by over 500% within a year, improve overall energy efficiency, and gain a place on the shortlist at the 2016 NZ Food Awards, in no small part thanks to the contribution of Drying Solutions’ dehydrator.
HOW DOES THE REXMOI® AIR TRAY DRYER WORK?
To start, the wet product is laid out on trays and dried in batches in a closed housing. The dryer uses an efficient refrigeration system to create warm air, which is circulated over the trays. The moisture is then removed in the form of water.
The dryer has a galvanised steel base and frame, covered with a Urethane Insulated Panel. The panel has an outer skin of powder-coated galvanised steel. The internal surface consists of colour steel or stainless-steel which meets food grade requirements.
The stainless-steel trays are mounted on trolleys to enable the product to be easily moved in and out of the drying chamber via the Insulated Panel door, while a lifting platform allows for easy loading and unloading of the trays into the dryer.
Both the stainless-steel trays and aluminium trolleys can be further customised to meet specific dimensions and can be built of a specific material, in order to suit the product being dried.
The dryer is built on a solid steel base and can be easily moved by a forklift if necessary. It is designed to be used inside a building. At times during the drying cycle, warm or cool air will be released from the refrigeration coils mounted outside the housing, which is why it’s important for the dryer to be located within a space where the airflow will not be impeded or cause any problems. The drain line also needs to be run to a gully trap in the building’s sewage system.
The dryer needs to be connected to the building’s power supply, and it is recommended that this be via a three phase, neutral, earth plug and socket, to allow for easy disconnection. The dryer draws about 10 to 40 amps per phase, however the load will vary depending on the dryer’s size.
THE DRYING PROCESS
The dryer operates in a closed cycle, with air being continuously circulated within the housing. No air is introduced from the outside or is discharged, eliminating the discharge of odours or external contamination of the dried product.
Each dryer can be built to suit a particular application. The biggest dryer developed to date can hold over 500kg or 1.9 cubic metres of wet product, and has the capacity to remove up to 60kg of water per hour. That said, drying time depends on how easily the moisture is removed and the desired water content of the product.
The drying rate depends on the surface area and texture of the product, the thickness of individual pieces, how easily moisture travels from the centre of the pieces to the outer surface and how densely the pieces are packed onto the trays. The rate of moisture removal is at its highest at the beginning of the drying process when the product is very wet, and is at its lowest near the end.
CONTROLLING THE DRYER
The dryer is fitted with a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) providing automatic control over all stages of the drying process. The PLC is fitted with a touch screen interface that displays data throughout the drying process and allows control settings to be altered by the operator, allowing the dryer to operate at a wide range of temperatures – between -5 to 70 degrees Celsius.
The Rexmoi® dryer also has the added benefit of being able to easily change the temperature during the drying process, allowing for optimum drying conditions for the product. This gives good control over product quality, appearance and bacterial growth.
The chosen set of conditions for a product is called the ‘Drying Recipe’ and is programmed into the PLC. The ‘Drying Recipe’ will be based on a set of initial conditions for the product. It is important that these conditions are adhered to, and if they change over time, the recipe may need to be adjusted.
Once loaded, the dryer operates automatically, without the need for any operator input. Data can be logged by the PLC throughout the drying process. A SCADA system can be added to the PLC to allow for the data to be downloaded for use in product-quality verification. The SCADA system also enables the dryer to be remotely monitored for correct operation and to diagnose the cause of any problems that may arise.
- Size – 4.2m long x 1.2m wide x 2.6m high
- 3 trolleys with removable trays (12 per trolley) for product
- Food grade trays (stainless steel)
- Power supply – 230 VAC, 10 amp, 3-pin plug or 3phase power depending on model
- Unit is mobile and can be towed to site
- Trailer tilts for easier loading and unloading of unit
- Can hold up to a tonne of product (nuts, herbs, pollen, etc) at a time
- Energy efficient
- Computer controlled – drying temperatures can be programmed in, very accurate control
- Computer monitoring of humidity and time
- Computer recording (e.g. can print out graphs)
- Drying between 15oC and 60oC, with an aim of having a temperature range from -5oC to 70oC
- Consistent drying
- Can preheat the product prior to drying (e.g. from frozen)
- Running costs run as low as $10-$15 per 24 hours depending of cost of power and unit model
TROLLEY ONE (standard trays)
These are the standard trays for the trolleys allowing the air flow to go down through the product. There are 12 trays per trolley of approximately 970mm long by 590mm wide by 90mm deep (three trolleys).
TROLLEY TWO (flatter trays)
These trays are flatter allowing the air flow to go over the product, rather than through it. There are up to 40 trays per trolley slightly larger than the standard trays but only approximately 25mm deep.
Each time we build a new unit, new ideas are incorporated allowing for more flexible use. From every trial we take ideas to improve the units and incorporate these in the next model. We are always developing and improving the units.
Manual Tray Loading and Unloading
We have built a manual tray loader. This assists with loading of trays and emptying the trays into a bag.
Automatic Tray Loading and Unloading
We are currently developing an automatic tray loading and unloading machine, which will also load the trays into the trolleys.